[aprssig] distributed findu possible ?

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Aug 10 16:40:10 EDT 2008

On Aug 10, 2008, at 3:42 PM, Scott Miller wrote:

> Well, what's the hardest part there?  Database maintenance?  Log
> management?  OS maintenance?  Yes, some companies might have a full-
> time
> staff for that, but some get by on less.

I could get by with one half time sysadmin. I can't afford that so I
spend the 20 hours a week.

> I don't have enough experience with large MySQL databases to know how
> much of a pain that is.  Oracle certainly scales just fine at those
> sizes... there's a steep learning curve (and it's not cheap) but
> with a
> properly structured database and the right hardware you can do a lot.

MySQL is fine, I never have any problems with it. The only database
maintenance is the flushing of old data, which is croned
automatically. Only if the server crashes do I need to touch the
tables. The time is in making sure all the other services findU
depends upon are working, checking that yum updates haven't broken
anything (for example, when imagemagick, perl, or gd are updated,
almost everything needs to be checked) rebooting if the kernel has
been patched (and praying it comes back up), running snort for
intrusion detection (manually from a hidden partition only mounted
during the test), scouring the logs for people who have found new ways
to scrape data and blocking it, answering tons of email about findU
and APRS in general, going through the output of the log scanners, and
many other little things which I do not feel like spending some of my
20 hours enumerating!

Steve K4HG