[aprssig] Kenwood TH-D7 Camera mounting?

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 9 20:04:47 EDT 2008

Hi folks,

Ok, time to build a D7-mounted GPS.  I have a nice little GPS block (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=465) that I want to mount on top of the D7, and tie into the D7's AA-based battery pack.  The GPS will need a TTL->RS-232 level shift, and some way to mount it.

The level shift is planned to use a MAX-232 chip, though there are probably other/easier ways to do it.  I need to mount the GPS block on something, so I figure a little PC board, put the GPS on top, MAX chip, and then figure out some way to stand the thing up on top of the D7.  Which is really the reason for this posting...

Kenwood has an SSTV camera attachment for the D7, and I figure it mounts somehow on top of the battery belt clip assembly, but I don't have one to look at.  Does anyone have one, and could they describe what the attachment looks like?  My guess is that there are two round posts, maybe a half inch (1 cm) long, and maybe 1 1/8 inch (3cm) apart.  Then maybe some other stuff in between, and some sort of locking mechanism.

Am I close?

Thanks,

Greg  KO6TH