[aprssig] BOUY 4 Q's and comment

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Aug 8 18:06:20 EDT 2008

> Subject: Re: [aprssig] BOUY 4 Q's and comment
> Q: Does the Helical 'ground plane' sit below the water line?

I think about 2/3rds of it does and I am sure that completely
messes up the 1.0 SWR we got it tuned to in the lab...

> Q: What was that one beacon on Hwy 50...

A test drive stickign out my car's back window...

> You should show a close-up of that fat section
> to show how it attaches.

Good idea. No real attachment.  Just a hole cut in the 4" pipe
cap the size of the 1.5" pipe.  The regular 1/5" fitttings then
keep it from sliding off the top.  It does not have to be water
sealed since the inside of the 4" part is foam filled.

> Q: Where is the water seal?

The only seal is the male/female 1.5" threaded adapter.  SO the
entire inside is hollow and full of air (we hope)..  Of couse we
used lots of PFTE tape on the threads and then used black
electrical tape on the outside to block out splashes..

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/buoy4.html