[aprssig] findU server move time yet again

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Thu Aug 7 02:21:48 EDT 2008

> Yea, there are lots of places that do hosting like that. Interestingly
> enough, they seem to be a lot cheaper than colo sites. One probably

I'm sure they're using a lot of high-density blade servers.

> reason is the horsepower to serve 1.8 million dynamic pages a day
> doesn't fit in a single rack. There are a few 2U servers that would do
> the job, but they cost more than the 3U Dell I use. So they could put
> three regular web servers in the space of findU's server.

Wish I could have done something useful with the redundant load
balancers they just threw out at my old job when the powers that be
decided to centralize network management and thought that configuration
was just too complicated for their new centralized support staff.

> I appreciate the attempt to help. I've never made $100 a month (the
> Google agreement forbids me from sharing any specific info (and I'm
> surprised your agreement doesn't have the same prohibition, but maybe
> because you are paying they are nicer to you)). Google does not share

I don't remember any prohibition for ad buyers, but I do remember
reading about that for site owners.  I'm just trying to make a point
that direct banner sales might generate more revenue from fewer, more
relevant ads.

> The ads you see are strongly influenced by the searches you have done
> in the past. One thing I noticed is when I look at findU pages the
> computers at work get garbage ads, while my computer gets targeted ads

I've never heard that before... I just fired up a browser with no search
history and no cookies, nothing to tie it to any of my normal browsing,
and I still see the same ads.  They're the same sort of ads I've seen
from every machine I've ever used FindU from.  Maybe some other users
can confirm or deny this?  At the moment it's all GPS tracking devices,
weather channel, and database stuff.  It's exactly the same on my
heavily-used browser with a long history and a current Google login.

> turn off findU than have it look like QRZ. Garish colors, flashing
> lights, and screaming pitchmen do sell, but I'm not going to be one. I
> do have some pride left ;-)

But you've already got a banner ad there.  You'd just need to install
any of a number of open source banner rotation systems.  Just because
most ham websites look like crap doesn't mean they all HAVE to!  I keep
hoping HRO will realize it's not 1997 any more.  AES is tolerable to
look at now, even if you still can't find anything outside of the PDF
catalog.  And in QRZ's defense, as far as I know, all of the flashing
lights are the fault of the advertisers.  No reason you couldn't enforce
higher standards.  But you're right, as it stands now, it always makes
me think of this:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/42809

Scott
N1VG