[aprssig] !DAO! Format

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Aug 4 12:44:41 EDT 2008

I noticed a Tracker of some kind this weekend on the air.

It was sending the !DAO! Format.
It was placing this first in the TEXT stream instead of the
receommended last.

By placing it first, this makes it impossible to send Frequency
data, and it also shortens the available comment text by 6
characters from the guaranteed 20 available for viewing.

That is why it is recommended to put the !DAO! Format at the end
of a packet, since it otherwise is not normmamly human readable
and does not need to show up on the flashed display of the radio
or HAMHUD.  Yet applications that can parse it and use it, can
still find it there.

Just a tip.  Since it was Mic-E format, and not sending any
particular TYPE byte, I could not tell who makes it.  Also, the
callsign I wrote down has been lost so I can not track it that
way either...

Anyway, for what it is worth...

Bob, Wb4APR