[aprssig] Symbol Protocol Help

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 26 18:44:51 EDT 2008

--- Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
> > If both "/$ in lat/lon" and "GPSxyz in ToCall"
> > appear in a single posit, may I assume that /$
> > takes precedence when parsing and GPSxyz is
> > ignored?
>
> That question has been answered at least twice in
> this dialog....
> GPSxyz is only used when a raw GPS NMEA string is in
> the packet.

Actually, while related to the earlier question, this
is a different issue.  I understand that presently,
SYMxyz is used only with raw NMEA.  I'm past that.
I'm now asking about something for the future...

I am asking about combining SYMxyz with a traditional
APRS lat/lon packet.  *If* that were to occur, is
there a precedence to decoding it (I'm hoping that
legacy systems favor /$ and ignore SYMxyz in that
circumstance)?

I suppose I should just test it against UI-View and
findU and see what happens.  Sorry to bother the list.

Kind regards,
Ev