[aprssig] Re: Symbol set revisions

Gerhard f5vag.eu at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 05:13:54 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:23 AM, Heikki Hannikainen <hessu at hes.iki.fi> wrote:

Hi Hessu,

>   Yeah, I was educated at work about this last week, too. IE6 renders
> transparent PNGs if they're in indexed-color mode (like in GIF). If it's an
> RGB PNG with an alpha channel (controlling the level of opacity), IE6
> doesn't render it. I apparently tried with RGB PNGs and went for GIFs when
> it didn't work. :)

That's correct. Fortunately the symbol pics on Stephen's symbol tiles are
already in the right format with 256 colors and GD does treat them correctly.

Concerning the file size of the symbol pics, there is of course some overhead
but this doesn't matter much today as you had said in a previous post.

--
73 de Gerhard, F5VAG / DL7MW
http://f5vag.eu, france.aprs2.net