[aprssig] Suggestion for APRS over Satellite

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Wed Apr 23 03:58:21 EDT 2008

Bottom posted for once, scroll down to see...

I'd sort of expect it not to be a CPU horsepower problem, after all,
it'd have the best part of 60 minutes (plus) to calculate the next AOS
based on the last received partial Kepler element set.  It's not as if
it needs to track the things in real time....

Heck, with a little (lot) of software inginuity, and an accurate clock
etc, the thing could figure out the AOS/LOS pattern over a period of
time all by itself...  Couldn't it?   After all, that's how many of us
used to use the early Oscar's before we all got computerised....   Well
within the realms of a low power CMOS CPU I'd have thought...

With that sort of functionality, you could "just drop" a satelite APRS
sensor pack, just about anywhere, and after a day or three, it'd
synchronise itself with whatever satelites it was initialy told about.

Just an idea...

Dave G0WBX.

This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited.  www.palmercook.co.uk