[aprssig] Symbol Protocol Help

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 22 09:40:03 EDT 2008

--- Bob Bruninga  <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
> > I get the fact that /!=Police.
> > "/" refers to the primary table,
> > and "!" happens to be the first CHR$(n) that is
> > human readable (and it proceeds down the ASCII
> table).
> >
> > What I don't get is the xyz equivalent.
> > Why is the xyz equivalent of "/!", "BB"?
>
> Because it is the 2nd character in the "Bth" series.

Nice!  That makes sense to me (finally). :)  So, is it
accurate to say that (in the GPS/SYM/SPCxyz schema),
xy is a 2-dimension array (where xy [together] defines
a symbol) and z is a literal ASCII overlay character?

(assuming this is a "yes")
I notice that the following "series" have been
defined:

Primary/Secondary
B/O
P/A
M/N
H/D
L/S
J/Q

A couple of questions arise...

Why was "B" the first series of the primary table,
rather than "A" (which is the third series of the
secondary table?

These are 12 "series" defined.  What would keep more
from being defined and used (other than the fact the
the symbol set doesn't exist in the clients)?

It may be that these things are clearly understood by
others.  I simply can't find the detail in any of the
help files.

Kind regards,
Ev, W2EV