[aprssig] Battery & Charger for APRS Station

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Apr 21 02:20:24 EDT 2008

Lead acid batteries are better off if kept topped up and not allowed to
deep discharge. That's not saying that some batteries can't handle deep
cycling. They should also be periodically given a "gassing" charge.

I maintained a large(ish) solar powered radio site some years ago -
8,000AH of batteries and solar panel capacity to deliver 100A. This was
a 12v system.

The solar controller had two charge settings - boost, which gave a
gassing charge, and float. The float position was interesting in that it
cycled the batteries up to 14.4V and then switched off until the voltage
reduced to13.4 (those figures might be out by 0.2v - the memory is going
back 15 years). The idea was to maintain a higher state of  charge than
floating at 13.6v, without using lots of water.

I homebrewed a similar scheme for the 12v radio battery charger in a 24v
vehicle with great sucess.

Ray vk2tv