[aprssig] APRS Tracker Manefesto

Jason Rausch jason at ke4nyv.com
Sun Apr 20 14:24:44 EDT 2008

--- Bill Vodall WA7NWP <wa7nwp at gmail.com> wrote:

> There should be a section in the manifesto that
> describes the very few
> situations when a 8 to 12 watt tracker that doesn't
> even have carrier
> detect is acceptable on an APRS packet network.

Exactly!  I am getting sick of the constant
deamonization of transmit-only trackers based on the
fact that they cannot detect channel activity (without
a receiver, of cource).  Using more than a couple
watts without channel activity detection is just
wreckless.  I have customers contantly say to me "If
the RTrak was (fill in anything over 5) watts, I would
buy one or three right now!".  It would be nice to
sell them, but then I see that as doing a diservice to
the APRS network.  I would be simply putting a QRM box
in their hands.

I have considered high power versions meant for use
OFF of 144.390, mostly for search and rescue groups.
The problem there is I need a real commitment from at
least one or two groups to put the engineering time
and money into that.

But I can only speak for myself, if other outfits see
it fit to continue to sell these high-power,
non-detecting devices, then so be it.  I won't throw
my name into the hat.

Jason KE4NYV
RPC Electronics
www.rpc-electronics.com