[aprssig] APRS Tracker Manefesto

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Apr 20 12:10:20 EDT 2008

>> It appears [the deaf airplane tracker] is using
>> Smart Beaconing and that's why the beacon rate
>> is very high at times...
>
> Seems a lot of those ...[trackers]...
> are doing that...  And you can't send
> 'em a APRS message either, darn it!

That is why I wrote the APRS Tracker Manefesto and sent it to
all the manufacturers of trackers.  I asked them to include the
Manefesto in the package of every device they sell.  You can
download it here:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/Welcome%20to%20APRS.doc

Similarly, the APRS community has got to stress this information
on all users in their area.  Print out a bunch of copies, take
them to the next club meeting and hand them out to your tracker
buddies.

Basically it says, APRS is a two-way network.  If you are
transmitting on the network, you need to be also listening on
the network.  If your device does not receive APRS messages,
then you need to include in your beacons, a pointer to what
voice freqeuency you are monitoring or email contact
information.

In many cases this is trivial.  Just turn up the volume on the
receiver on the APRS channel, and set CTCSS 100.  This way your
tracker is operating "voice alert" and you can not only hear any
voice call to you, but you also get a free radio-proximity
detector to any other APRS mobiles in a few miles.

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/VoiceAlert3.html

And don't overlook the APRS DIRECTION FINDING OPPORTUNITY!  Go
on a GEO-Cashing expedition to find one of these trackers, and
slip the "Tracker Manefesto" under their windshield wiper!

Bob, WB4APR