[aprssig] APRS Situational Awareness

Eric Christensen eric at christensenplace.us
Wed Apr 16 07:27:48 EDT 2008

Hey!  I was just playing around on Xastir making objects (off the coast
of Virginia) and found that Xastir has a "Predefined Objects" that
include some of what I put below.  Just right-click over where you want
your object and select "Predefined Objects" and a list comes up.  The
list includes:

ICP: Command Post
Staging
IPP: Initial Planning Point
PLS: Point Last Seen
LKP: Last Known Point
Base
Helibase
Heli-n: Helipoint
Camp

I'll leave them up today if anyone wants to take a look at the objects
themselves.  They will be just east of the Chesapeake Bay.

73,
Eric W4OTN

Eric Christensen wrote:
> Bob,
> I don't know if Cap has responded to you yet but this is what I'm seeing
> from one of my books:
>
> /c = Incident Command Post
> B0 = Incident Base
> C0 = Camp
> // = Helispot (Identify with location and/or number)
> H0 = Helibase
> R0 = Repeater/Mobile Relay
> S0 = Staging Area (Identify by name)
>
> Below here are listed as optional...
> T0 = Telephone
> F0 = Fire Station
> W0 = Water Source (Identify as pond, cistern, hydrant)
> X0 = Mobile Weather Unit
>
> These are what is in my ICS Map Display Symbols chapter.  Being we are
> talking ICS I'm hesitant to say we could substitute these symbols for
> existing symbols that may better represent what is being marked (like
> using /d for the fire station vice F0.  Those things should be worked
> out way ahead of time with the supported agency to make sure everyone is
> on the same page.
>
> 73,
> Eric W4OTN
>

> Robert Bruninga wrote:
>> Cap,
>>
>> Im nost sure where all that ICS list of symbols is used, but
>> would you like to make a list of them and their APRS
>> equivalents?
>>   Ill add it to my symbols web page.
>> Bob , WB4APR

>>> http://gis.nwcg.gov/giss_2006/job_aids/maps_and_graphics/ICS_D