[aprssig] APRS Situational Awareness

John Galvin jrgalvin2 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 09:10:13 EDT 2008

 From our RACES/ARES notebook...and is communications focused but you should
get the intent.

A Staging Area serves the function of a place for resources to gather and
organize for immediate tactical deployment.  It may also be used for
briefings, repair, rest, feeding, and housing to name a few.  The staging area
contains the "ready to deploy" (< 5 minutes) communicators.  These
communicators generally make up the "second wave" or relief operators. In
large scale events or incidents where all types of resources respond, the
communicators become a sub-group and may be grouped together within the
staging area. Staging Areas are always located away from the danger area and
should have easy access and close in facilities.

73, John - N5TIM

Jan T. Pharo wrote:
> Eric H Christensen <eric at christensenplace.us>, Mon, 14 Apr 2008
> 18:17:06 -0400:
>
>> According to my Fireline Handbook a staging area is represented by circle with a "S" in the middle.
>
> Could someone please explain to a non-american: What _is_ a 'Staging
> area' other than an area where you build a stage (like, for
> performances/concerts)

John Galvin - N5TIM
http://www.qsl.net/n5tim for Public Service Info
http://www.garlandraces.net/

JUNK - Stuff we throw away ... STUFF - Junk we keep!