Fix USB assignements. Was RE: [aprssig] NEW laptop for APRS with a Serial Port?

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 07:37:11 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 3:09 AM, Dave Baxter <dave at emv.co.uk> wrote:

>  so next time you plug *That*
>  adapter into *That* USB port, it'll show up in the "same place".

This is a good theory, but I have had problems both with Mac OS X and
Linux when trying to use this method.  It is certainly conceivable
that Windows does a better job in this respect, but long experience
with Windows in general makes me doubt it...

Are you sure this is based on port assignment, or is is enumeration order?

>  Note:  USB devices have a unique ID number, much like a network card MAC
>  address.

This is sadly not the case.  FTDI devices do, but as best I recall
Prolific and SiLabs devices do not.  I don't know about Keyspan, as
they attempt to use a name based on enumeration order on OS X.

Most of these devices work just fine until you plug it in to a
different port or, even worse, use more than one.

-Jason
kg4wsv