[aprssig] 20th century radio (was: APRS MileMark data base)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Apr 14 13:37:07 EDT 2008

Robert Bruninga wrote:

> Back to the original thread...  I think it would be hard to tell
> all the local governments that using Mile-marks for locations
> along major interstates is old out-dated technology.  Because
> most of them are spending millions of dollars to maintain and
> update their milemarkers now every TENTH of a mile because of
> their tremendous value to location information for first
> responders.  It ain't high tech, but it works.  And 100% of
> every human with at least one eye can use it, not just those
> with GPS...
>
> Bob, Wb4APR

Except in California where CalTrans has intransigently refused to number
freeway exits and place milemarks on the Interstate highways for
decades.  (They actually had some sort of grandfathered exemption from
the Feds from the requirement to post them until recently.)

Now they are belatedly adding exit numbers in the form of small stick-on
"patches" in  the lower right corners of SOME of the exit signs.

What's really funny is that my Garmin Nuvi 680 car-navigator display
GPS  DOES show the exit mile-mark numbers in it's display of    "Next
Exit Name   NN Miles ahead"   that don't show on the actual signs!
As does Microsoft MapPoint & Streets 2008 on my mobile APRS laptop.

[ In other words,  in California at least,  you DO need a GPS to use
mile marks..... ]

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map