[aprssig] APRS Device in Mongolia?

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Mon Apr 14 12:01:12 EDT 2008

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> APRSSIG Group:
>
> APRS remote instrument in Mongolia?
>
> We might possibly have a ride to a mountain top in Mongolia for
> an automated stand-alone APRS environmental sensor.  If anyone
> wants to build one of these, maybe we might possibly get it
> added to the expedition.  Here is what I am thinking:
>
> 1) 5W TX on 145.825 APRS satellite uplink
> 2) Solar powered
> 3) very small, simple and lightweight
> 4) Possibly camouflaged

  Last I checked, Mongolia was an 'autonomous republic' in China.  Amateur
radio activity is authorized only at government supervised radio clubs.
Home stations are not permitted.  Who's going to handle getting a license
for locating a telemetry transmitter on Chinese soil?  Especially if the
project is headed by someone with close ties to the US military???
   Isn't China the country that imprisoned a Qualcomm employee for simply
carrying a GPS receiver while in China to survey possible cellular
transmitter sites, for the official Chinese telcom agency?

   Don't get me wrong - I thnk the development of a low-power reliable
telemetry system is a worthwile goal.  I just think there must be a more
appropriate place to site the first prototypes.

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin