[aprssig] 20th century radio (was: APRS MileMark data base)

Brian Webster bwebster at wirelessmapping.com
Sun Apr 13 21:17:24 EDT 2008

Jason and All;
	While the ease of getting GPS devices and such out there is cheap and easy
that is not the point Bob is trying to make. In any emergency or disaster
there will be plenty of times you will get information that would be very
useful to put on a map and then broadcast it for all to see. For instance
when a new shelter gets set up. Putting it's location MANUALLY on the map
and then broadcasting it works great and is a wonderful tactical tool. The
one to many concept is used more than you can ever realize because the many
don't always talk back to you, it is a passive method. These types of things
do not need GPS trackers. There are many other bits of information that are
also useful on maps. Road closures, hospitals, on scene command posts and
many others, none of which need a tracker or GPS/TNC combination. You could
easily have one person just passively listening to not only ham radio, but
other public service radio channels and update a tactical map. These
tactical maps/APRS programs can be run in an EOC, mobile command post,
shelters, fire houses and other places like a red cross or mayors office.
They all would get the updates and the data at once and without having to
ask for it. When this happens people can anticipate requests to their
agencies and do prep work to respond to the requests. We have proven that in
emergencies in the past. It works well on voice repeaters time and time
again, backing that type of data up with a visual display is awesome.
	While I also would love to see our technology advance, technology just for
technology sake is not always the best answer. Being able to get a job done
in less than ideal situations when all else fails is where we shine. If we
do it with 30 year old methods who cares? The fact that we can do it when
others can't is the point.

Thank You,
Brian N2KGC