[aprssig] College tuitions

Bogdan, Rick rbogdan at ursinus.edu
Wed Apr 9 14:36:54 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org
[mailto:aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org] On Behalf Of Scott Miller
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 13:40
To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
Subject: Re: [aprssig] College tuitions

> Anyway, on the ham side..  Please encourage your ham kids to get
> involved with a campus club if there is one.  Here at K9IU, we (like
> many other .edu clubs) are having a tough time with recruiting, and
> most of our active club membership consists of staff and faculty like
> myself.  Internet and cell phones have definitely bit into the hobby
> for this specific demographic.

This is why we need to focus on experimentation and digital stuff.  Go
after the Linux geeks, for starters.  They've got the technical
inclination already, but many of them write off ham radio as the hobby
of a bunch of ragchewing geezers.

If they follow sites like Slashdot, they know all about the FCC auctions
and how much companies are willing to spend for prime spectrum.  Show
them that an easy-to-obtain license gives them the ability to use large
swaths of spectrum with few restrictions.  Ham radio and the open source
movement are philosophically very compatible, but ham radio suffers from
a major image problem.

Scott
N1VG