[aprssig] Protocols

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Apr 4 13:48:17 EDT 2008

> That's not counting the bytes in the
> destination address field, though!

If you are going to send it over AX.25 packet you are stuck with
the AX.25 addresses.  So the Mic-E only uses 9 bytes.  And those
9 bytes carry not just position, but also includes Course,
Speed, a symbol code for over 3000 different symbols, and a 3
bit message code.

> We were talking about how compact you can make things
> without worrying about backwards compatibility.

But, As you know, I worry *very much* about maintaining
compatibility of all APRS systems for all users...