[aprssig] Re GPS off track

Amir Findling K9CHP sarlabs at twcny.rr.com
Wed Apr 2 16:54:13 EDT 2008

Having looked briefly at the websites you mentioned, the Fortuna uses a
SirfStar IILP chip and the Globalsat uses a SirfStar III chip. Now if
you look at the specs The Globalstar with WAAS activate is accurate to 4
meters vs 10 for the Forutna. The Globalsat is also a 20 channel GPS vs.
12 for the Fortuna. Finally the Globalsat mentions being EGNOS ready and
the Fortuna only mentions WAAS.

To me it all indicated the Globalsat is a more accurate unit. Now the
Fortuna has features the Globalsat does not have.

I once compared a Garmin 60CS (non Sirfstar)  a Garmin 60CSx (Sirfstar
III) and the difference in locations, holding each unit in one hand was
in the last digits of the UTM reading, meaning a difference in single
meters.

    * 73 de K9CHP Amir Findling, Member ARRL, WAC
    * www.K9CHP.net <http://www.k9chp.net>
    * Senior K9 Handler, Cayuga County Highland SAR
    * K9 Certification Tester, NYS Federation of SAR Teams
    * 1st Special Response Group (1SRG)