[aprssig] APRS QSO frequency

Andy AB9FX ab9fx at aprs.pl
Sun Sep 30 14:39:33 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Bruninga " <bruninga at usna.edu>
Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2007 10:17
Subject: Re: [aprssig] APRS QSO frequency

>> As I understand from reading your webpage, the PL100
>> tone [for voice-alert on 144.39] is not digi'd?
>> So ANYTIME I hear the packet, that means someone
>> with PL100 is within simplex range?
>
> Yes, that is why it is a perfect "radar proximity detector" for any other
> APRS user in simplex range...

I think, this is perfect if digi operators are perfect. One of my neighbor
W1 digi works with PL100, so every repeated packet comes out with the tone.
Even when I don't use PL100, I can hear 100Hz burst when MY POS blinks on
the display. Moreover, some mobile station driving around activated D700 as
a WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1, WIDE2-2 digi and works with PL100. So, most of local
packets suggest their original operators are VA active and in simplex range
but they are not.
73
Andy