[aprssig] D710 standalone control head!

Andrew Rich vk4tec at people.net.au
Sun Sep 30 11:40:41 EDT 2007

Photos ?

Andrew Rich VK4TEC
vk4tec at people.net.au <mailto:vk4tec at people.net.au>
http://www.tech-software.net

-----Original Message-----
From: aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org
[mailto:aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org]On Behalf Of Bob Bruninga
Sent: Monday, 1 October 2007 1:33 AM
To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
Subject: Re: [aprssig] D710 standalone control head!

>> kenwood announced that the new D710 control head
>> will be sold separately too, since it can be used
>> for APRS with any radio, not just the D710.
>
> How do you mean it can be used separate TX and RX
> audio of any other rig?  Does this mean... this
> 710 head can be used to put [a d700 w/o control head]
> back in service?

No, the stand-alone D710 control head used in -this mode- is not really a
"control head" but a box with built in TNC and APRS display.  It only has
audio input and GPS input and audio/PTT output.

Notice, this is why the GPS input is on the contorl head in the D710 and not
on the radio (as it was on the D700)...

> How can this D710 control head be used for a
> "stand alone APRS unit"?... do you mean this could
> serve as a TNC with another radio/GPS system?

Yes, in this stand-alone mode, it is a tnc with the same  APRS display as
the D710 system.  But I guess you also lose the Mic as a keypad entry device
too. So lets hope that John Hanson comes out with a keyboard interface some
how too like he did for the D700.

Bob, WB4APR