[aprssig] Re: D-STAR video on YouTube

Mark Fellhauer sparkfel at qwest.net
Wed Sep 26 16:40:38 EDT 2007

At 09:48 AM 9/26/2007, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:
> > I'm sure most of the people at Yeacomwood hold amateur radio licenses.
>
>I'll be not. Those companies make their money building and selling
>commercial radio gear, and the ham business is just gravy/slop.

So you're saying that people who design radios just got there by
accident?   Didn't have an interest in radios before hand?  Didn't get an
amatuer license ever?  Odd.

I go to a lot of security/law enforcement tradeshows for my job.  I should
be at ASIS right now, but I'm stuck with real work.   Every 2-way rep I
talk to has a callsign.  I go to Hamventions and the commercial guys have
call signs.    I used to be the VP of the Thunderbird ARC (formerly
Honeywell ARC) .  A lot of guys in that club are Motorola
employees.   There are a lot more HARC guys with amateur radio licenses
than with pilot's licenses.   And they design aircraft systems....

I went into HRO Phoenix once and the place was full of a bunch of blonde
guys speaking Swedish.  They were Ericsson engineers in town to deal with
some technology rollout for cell-phones.    They were all hams.

Mark
KC7BXS