[aprssig] Ram Mount w/D700 control head

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Wed Sep 26 13:43:59 EDT 2007

I used a "standard" panavise mount which has the articulating balls and a
replaceable rod- commonly available at your local motorola shop.... thanks
Jason Rausch!  The rod is 12" long.

The base is about 3" square (that's 75mm for you off topic thread jockies)
and the head mount is a standard AMPS rectangular mount.  I cut out a piece
of 3/8" (10mm) lexan on a bandsaw to fit over the AMPS mount and screw into
my gpsmap76c unit.  The gps just happens to use an amps mount if you remove
the swivel from the back of the clip in holder.  With some extra long
screws, I'm able to sandwich the lexan between the top of the panavise head
and the bottom of the GPS unit.  I then placed the d700 control head on the
lexan just above the GPS unit and drilled holes thru the lexan that
allow screws to penetrate directly into the back of the control head pilot
holes.  Be careful here that you don't get screws that are too long and
penetrate the control head too deeply.  The cool part about using lexan is
that I can see where I need to drill holes from the back side.  Once I had
the GPS and control head mounted to the lexan, I simply traced a line around
the perimeter that left enough "meat" to hold the units rigidly, but keeps
the edges of the lexan hidden nicely from view.  The whole thing is an
oblong swoopy oval shape, but you can't see it when looking at the control
head.  All told, it probably took 45 minutes to do the whole thing.

Wes

On 9/26/07, William McKeehan <mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net> wrote:

> Anyone using a Ram Mount (http://www.ram-mount.com/) for their Kenwood
> TM-D700
> control head? If so, can you tell me which mount you are using and what
> additional fabrication had to be done?
>
> I'd like to get a setup that would mount eh D700 control head and a Garmin
> GPS
> V (preferably with the GPS V just above the control head) for use on my
> motorcycle (2006 GoldWing).
>
> Any suggestions are welcomed!
> --
> William McKeehan
> KI4HDU

In theory there is no difference between practice and theory.