[aprssig] Old Digi_Ned Refurb

Bernard Tyers bernard.tyers at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 10:45:39 EDT 2007

On 15 Sep 2007, at 14:37, Steve Jones wrote:

> How does your method work any better?  Seems to me that the
> offender never gets digi'd and nobody hears him.  He/She gets
> frustrated because things don't work and gives up.  Maybe they ask
> for help and maybe they don't.

As a newcomer to APRS (definately a love-hate relationship...but it
has rekindled my original addiction), just a few points..

My two cent here (Euro cent or US cents, you take your pick!)...would
it be a possibility to send a message from the DIGI *back* to the
offending station to the effect of "your path is not supported
here..we only talk wide1-1, wide2-2"? or something like that.

I see Steve's point but, unless the user is really interested he is
not going to look into the raw packets. It took me this long to begin
to understand the path theory.

If he/she doesn't "get heard" they are more likely to ask on the
voice repeater, ask their APRS Elmer for help. Its pretty quick to
find the cause of the issue there, instead of having a "benign, but
friendly dictator" working for his/her benefit in the background.

> At least with my method, they will get out and somebody will
> eventually notice their path and teach them what they should be doing.

That might not be the best thing though ;)

Anyway, just my addition to the pot.

bernard
Bernard Tyers
bernard.tyers at gmail.com