[aprssig] cell phone sized radar cgi on findu?

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Sep 26 09:49:12 EDT 2007

On Sep 26, 2007, at 9:34 AM, Andrew Rich wrote:

> Speaking of which,
>
> how can I track myself using a mobile phone ?

The regular findU pages work great with an iPhone. I was never happy
with the options provided with WAP, it seemed like a dead-end so I
stopped development on that, waiting for something like the iPhone to
come alone. Until those innovations trickle down to the rest of you,
there is wapaprs:

http://w9if.net/cgi-bin/wapaprs/web_main.pl

Decent for the US where the APRSworld maps are available, not so
great for the rest of the world where electronic mapping data is sold
for a high price by the government.

> A simple one tile google earth image would do just nicely.

That turns out to be hard to do, you cannot grab single tiles from
Google, you can only use their code, which requires javascript,
something lacking in most cell phones.

Steve K4HG