[aprssig] cell phone sized radar cgi on findu?

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Sep 26 09:03:46 EDT 2007

On Sep 26, 2007, at 8:13 AM, bob evinger wrote:

> Broke my cell phone, got a new one, dont see the cgi I was using
> listed
> on findu that displays the cell phone sized radar map that is centered
> on callsign and an area or maybe 30-40 mile radius.
>
> anybody know what it is.  I stuck the big radar cgi on my phone for
> now
> but seeing the entire radar for an entire 2 state area just doesnt
> work
> real well on the phone.

There was one which is deprecated, but the correct way to do this is
with the radar-find cgi, this gives you full control over the
display. In fact the deprecated cgi simply called the radar-find cgi
with a fixed set of parameters that worked for whatever cell phone I
had at the time. The parameters are documented at

http://www.findu.com/cgi.html#radar-find

For example, here is the URL I use on the iPhone, it is magnified
because the iPhone starts with it scaled to fit the screen, the zoom
factor allows me to zoom in on the part I want and makes it easier to
see the full details:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/radar-find.cgi?
call=cw0923&zoom=5&offsetx=500&offsety=500&nocall=1&radar=amx

I had to add the amx radar to the end, because the Key West radar is
down at the moment, but if you do not specify a radar call it will
automatically use the closest.

If you have an old fashioned cell phone with a small display and no
zoom (be ashamed you Luddites ;-), you might want something like:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/radar-find.cgi?
call=cw0923&offsetx=50&offsety=50&nocall=1&radar=amx

Remember the offset is from the center to the edge, so 50's give a
100x100 pixel image. Zoom works <1, so if you wanted to see more area
in those 100 pixels, you can do this:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/radar-find.cgi?
call=cw0923&offsetx=50&offsety=50&nocall=1&zoom=0.5&radar=amx

Steve K4HG