[aprssig] Re: D-STAR video on YouTube

Mark Fellhauer sparkfel at qwest.net
Wed Sep 26 05:21:18 EDT 2007

At 11:22 AM 9/25/2007, Bob Poortinga wrote:
>Chris <w0ep at frii.com> wrote:
>
> > Some of the best modern amateur radio transceivers are ham designed,
> > those from Elecraft and FlexRadio for example.
>
>I believe that what you mean is that these radios are designed by trained
>and qualified engineers who also happen to have an amateur radio license.
>Big difference.

'Zactly,

I'm sure most of the people at Yeacomwood hold amateur radio licenses.  And
Elecraft is a commercial enterprise using modern manufacturing techniques.

I think Elecraft is a great company.  I love the K3.  But the K3 is a
collection of high precision modular circuit boards of which you have the
option of plugging said boards into a chassis.  They even advertise it as
no-solder assembly.    That is not home-brewing or experimentation.   And
the original comment reinforces my point.  Most Ham's today consider
systems integration to be homebrewing...even if they pay someone else to do it.

Everyday I sit about 20 feet from a couple of MyData SMT Pick & Place
machines and a bank of reflow solder ovens.  They do things that no human
could ever duplicate, and that's how modern electronics are made.

Mark
KC7BXS