[aprssig] Re: D-STAR video on YouTube

Mark Fellhauer sparkfel at qwest.net
Tue Sep 25 01:20:37 EDT 2007

At 09:19 PM 9/24/2007, Scott Miller wrote:

>Are you saying D-Star is going to be APCO 25 compatible?  I haven't heard
>that.  It'd take a lot more than using the same codec to let them interoperate.

I'm sure part of the reason Icom chose AMBE for D-Star was to get
experience with it so they can roll out a fielded solution for P-25 Phase-2.

If you look at M/A-Com's P25IP/OpenSky system it sure looks like
D-Star.    Of course M/A-Com is about 25 miles from M.I.T. where the codec
was born.   DVSI's founder is an M.I.T. alumni.  And there has been bad
blood between M.I.T, DVSI, and Lockheed (who acquired then sold
Inmarsat)  Inmarsat, Iridium, and XM-radio use AMBE.     I played a small
bit in making the reaction wheels for the Iridium Satellites.  It sure
doesn't feel like that was 10 years ago, but it was.

While the radios may or may not be directly interoperable (time will tell)
it sure seems to me that they would be able to gateway with a little glue-code.

Mark
KC7BXS