[aprssig] I'm still waiting for...

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Sep 24 12:29:08 EDT 2007

But this is *not* the same - sure, I have my gripes about the DSTAR
architecture, the way the protocol is implemented, the awful
documentation - but none of that is a huge deal.  Using the AMBE codec
as a required part of that on-air standard IS a big deal, and it's more
a legal issue than a technical gripe.

As others have pointed out here, if you were to come up with your own
implementation of the AMBE codec and use it on the air for DSTAR
compatibility, DVS would almost undoubtedly sue the pants off you - and
not just for not paying them their licensing fee, but probably for
opening the door to east Asian IP pirates who might use your code to
make knock-off AMBE codecs for commercial products.

What OTHER on-air amateur radio protocol or modulation technique, past
or present, are you absolutely NOT allowed to duplicate entirely by
yourself?  I'm not sure even Pactor III falls into that category, and at
least it's not presented as an open standard.

Scott
N1VG