[aprssig] Re: D-STAR video on YouTube

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Mon Sep 24 07:07:54 EDT 2007

In regard to...

Sorry, but there is (was?) at least one other maker, Alinco, who also
integrated the same "Tasco TNC on a chip" device into some of their
radios.  With all the same problems it has to be said.

However, the premise is true.

Ham Radio is a niche market, only supported by some makers, who also
produce very similar hardware for the commercial markets, so one
supports the other etc...

APRS is a small fraction of all Ham Radio "ready made" radio sales.   If
you poke about the web, you'll find surprising similar things
commercially too (under different names at least)...

I find it very hard to believe that the one maker (so far) with a D*
product on the Ham market, does not do something similar for the
commercial market.

I've not looked at the video yet.

73.

Dave G0WBX.