[aprssig] Re: D-STAR video on YouTube

Noel Shrum ar798 at tcnet.org
Mon Sep 24 01:57:06 EDT 2007

Mark Fellhauer wrote:
> So go ahead and bad-mouth D-Star all you want.  It just makes you look
> silly.   We even have people here rooting for its demise.  AND, IMHO,
> that's the same thing as rooting for the demise of Ham Radio.

What is silly is your last statement there.
You have way too much emotion invested into your argument.

Ham Radio hasn't died just because CW is no longer a test requirement,
and if D-STAR lives or dies, Ham Radio will live on.  Ham Radio isn't a
single mode.  Ham Radio is about Communication.

Now my complaint about D-STAR, from what I have read you can't use it
with standard repeaters.  Do Icom D-STAR radios transmit FM also?
I have also read that D-STAR takes up more bandwidth than analog FM.
Is that right? That does not seem like a good thing to be using on 2M.

Noel W8TVI