[aprssig] Re: D-STAR video on YouTube

Danny Messano danny at messano.net
Mon Sep 24 00:27:31 EDT 2007

I think we've already established that he doesn't care how the radio is
made, and how the RF is generated.. What is going out over the air is the
issue.

I think putting proprietary protocols, codecs, or modulation schemes on the
air is against the spirit of Amateur Radio and should not be allowed.  If
you want the software or hardware to be closed source, fine, but the
transports should not be.. save that for the internet and consumer devices.

Much like the other VoIP offerings we've embraced as transports for Amateur
voice over the internet, it looks like the on-air transports are heading the
same way.  I guess no one has ever heard of SIP/RTP, IAX2, Asterisk, SER,
etc.  There are plenty of open protocols and codecs that can be used,
adapted, improved, or hey, can be CREATED for use in Amateur communications.

I think it's almost hysterical that Kenwood comes out with a few radios that
essentially lock-in the APRS protocol until a successor arrives and there's
a huge outcry, and then Icom comes with the proprietary lawyer-protected
D-STAR system and it's the best thing since slice bread.  Don't talk bad
about the D-STAR.

dm