[aprssig] D-STAR vs. APRS

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Sun Sep 23 19:41:53 EDT 2007

Steve,

You can read about the D-STAR digital voice data stream at both the JARL
and Icom web sites.  In a nutshell: the 4800 bps GMSK data stream
consists of 3600 bps voice with FEC and 1200 bps data.  Yes, they do
transmit both at the same time.  It is this simultaneous transmission
that is used to send GPS information (D-PRS) while a person is talking
on the D-STAR radio.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net