[aprssig] D-STAR vs. APRS

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 23 19:34:18 EDT 2007

--- Mark Miller

  Hold on a minute.  I thought one of the benefits of
going to digitally encoded (vocoded) audio was that
the vocoded voice requires less (digital) bandwidth
thus you support data in REAL time at the SAME TIME
because it is interleaved in the data streem.  Just
like the capability of CDMA.  We put up with the
gargle and loss of weak signal indications of the
vocoder expressly to get not only data, but to get the
parallel data capability.  If D-Star can't do that,
then it is more marginal than I originally thought.
dumb.

73, Steve