[aprssig] an off-topic query about statistical analysis indigital modes

Chris Howard w0ep at frii.com
Fri Sep 21 09:11:07 EDT 2007

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:31:14 +0100
"Dave Baxter" <dave at emv.co.uk> wrote:

> As of course does Morse code!
>
> Thanks for the book link btw Scott.
>
> Dave G0WBX.

I knew about low-level things like Huffman encoding.
What I was asking about is a higher level dictionary
of words and phrases and probability rating.

For example, if the string "tje" appears
in a keyboard-typed message it is likely to really
mean "the", or maybe it just might mean "tye" but that
is much less likely.  You can do that at the bit level
and again at a semantic level.

My BlackBerry cellphone/pda has a keypad with
two letters assigned to every key.  Usually I can type
my message just as if the keys were given a single letter
and the BlackBerry algorithm figures out that I meant
"the" not "ygr". So it is effectively a 2 to 1 compression
of the communication between my fingers and the device.

I know just enough about the whole issue to ask dumb
questions.  So I think that book will be very helpful.

Chris Howard
w0ep