[aprssig] New APRS virtual reality Idea!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Sep 20 17:24:27 EDT 2007

> > If he is to the East, you hear him to the right.
> > If he is to the west, you hear him to your left.
> > Anywhere in between, and  the earphones are phased
> > so that you hear his direction.
>
> ... but you would have no way to tell the difference
> between North (in front of you) and South (in back
> of you) .. with a two speaker system .. OR two ears

Besides drilling another hole in my head, I was wondering about
that as I was writing it.  I supose the human brain simply
unconsciously moves the head a little bit and resolves it
unconsciously.

I just realized another bit of information that could be
included in the auible beep.  That is, the tone could sweep a
little bit to represent speed.  A constant tone is a fixed
station, and one with a sweep would be moving.  Rate of sweep
would be proprtional to speed.

And it would be great for letting our blind hams experience
APRS!

Of course, much of APRS is already compatible, since too much of
APRS is lights out with nobody home...

AH... But a little "dit" on the end of the tone would be the
human activity bit if present.  IN fact, just another pair of
dits or dahs on the end, could signal the other 8 attributes
defined (normally by color) for APRS symbols (omitted in too
many applications)...

Bob, WB4APR