[aprssig] Tracking and Stacking

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Thu Sep 20 15:41:35 EDT 2007

Congratulations, you've just discovered packed BCD (binary coded decimal)!

Check out the instruction set for a processor like the 6502.  There are
instructions in there specifically for dealing with numbers in exactly
that format.  IBM used to use a lot of BCD, but they got away from that
with the introduction of the System/360 in 1964.

Scott
N1VG