[aprssig] APRS Success to FIXED stations and IGates

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Sep 16 19:13:26 EDT 2007

>> This means we try to make all digis use only
>> one time slot for all outgoing copies of
>> the packet.  If we had all digis hold off
>> until all other copies were duplicated,
>> then the channel would be 3 to 12 times
>> more congested!
>
> Bob, I don't understand these two sentences
> at all.  Are you talking about dup checking?

No.  I am talking about the setting of the DWAIT parameter.  All APRS digis should have DWAIT set to 0, so that they respond immediately to a packet.  This way, all digis that hear each tier of a radially outbound packet will all respond at the same time.  This lets their users hear the packet, but saves on channel time by having all digis use the same time slot.

Some well meaning, digi sysops have not understood this, have set DWAIT to some other value, so that each digi holds off untile other digis are fininshed, and the throughput becomes abominable because now each of as many as a dozen copes of the packet each get their own slot.

DWAIT should be zero on an APRS network.

Bob, Wb4APR