[aprssig] WinAPRS icons

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Sep 16 16:58:26 EDT 2007

Mark Crosbie wrote:
> I was wondering if there is a way to update the icons in WinAPRS?

NO.   The icon set is over a decade out of date.  I wanted to do a set
of new icons (APRS symbols) for WinAPRS to match the ones I did for
UIview, APRSplus and findu (see links below), but the symbols appear to
be compiled inside of the main .EXE file and are not changeable.
Emails to the authors went unanswered.

> Also I run Wide1-1,Wide2-2 on my home setup. I am in Central Ohio
> within range of several digis. I hope that this is the correct path I
> should be running.

This kind of path is for a mobile in a remote area.  From a home station
in a populated area with more than one digipeater, you probably need
only a single hop.  Try just WIDE2-1.    WIDE 1-1 as the first hop
needlessly triggers other nearby home stations as the first hop.

> Then the next question should I be using a call like n8mni-1 since
> APRS is not my primary mode? I am in and out of the shack all the time
> run PSK alot on HF.

The SSID used is irrelevent, as long as you don't accidentally use the
SAME one for both a home station and a mobile.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps