[aprssig] It's BOB's way or no way!!

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Sep 15 18:09:07 EDT 2007

Regarding continued support of obsolete RELAY and WIDE:

>> If he is successful (RELAY or WIDE is digipeated),
>> then he will leave it that way.  And yes, it will
>> work at that one crutch-digi, but you are setting
>> him up for failure on his next trip!
>>
>>> Sure, the user has used an incorrect path
>>> but let's correct his mistake, get him on
>>> the air and then help him to understand what
>>> he should be doing.
>>
>> Really?  Who is going to correct it?  How?
>> Its working! [so how does anyone know it is
>> wrong?]

> Sorry Bob but I get the feeling you don't
> bother reading anything that disagrees with
> your views.

I try to read every post and every idea on the APRSSIG.  I love making APRS work well for everyone and persuing new ideas to see what else we can do.  But when I see something that just makes no sense, I have to call it like I see it.

> Others have already commented on the
> Elmering aspect of amateur radio and
> how my method supports that.

The problem that I think you are missing is that once a CRUTCH-DIGI digipeats an obsolete RELAY or a WIDE packet, then it inserts its OWN callsign in PLACE of the RELAY or WIDE and no one, not the digi owner, not anyone else, and not the sender can have any clue that it was a RELAY in the first place.  If no one can see the bad packet, then how is an Elmer going to be alerted to help him fix it???

A digi extends the range of a packet from say 5 miles to say 50 miles or an area coverage advantage of 100 to 1.  The only possible way that an elmer would see the original packet was if he lived in that ONE PERCENT of area near the sender, and heard the packet direct.  The chance of that happening is 1% and much less if you assume the elmer is even watching that closely.

> If somebody doesn't want to play APRS as
> you have deemed we should, then we ignore him.

No, we HELP him by not giving him the false sense of success at a single crutch-digi that then assures his mistake will never be seen, and also assures that his incorrect packet wont work anywhere else.  We are shooting him in the foot by digipeating a non-working obsolete path.

Please understand.  RELAY and WIDE packets are REPLACED my the callsign of the digi that repeates them.  The fact that the packet starts as a RELAY or WIDE DISAPPEARS after the first digi.  Hence there is no way for ELMERING to fix something that  we cannot see is broken.

Hope that helps.
Bob, WB4APR

This seems to come up time and time again in this forum.  If somebody has a view of APRS that differs from you, then they're wrong.

There seems to be two ways of doing APRS.  Bob's way and the wrong way.

Sorry for intruding on your forum.  I just thought others might like to know how I use my digi's to educate the newcomers.

I feel sorry for the new guys who stumble upon one of your digi's and wonder why they're not getting in.

--
Steve <steve.jones at rogers.com>