[aprssig] Absentee digi-lords

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Sep 15 14:09:27 EDT 2007

> 1) GREATLY SIMPLIFY path setting in APRS

> What could possibly be simpler than allowing the
> NETWORK to determine the route for the packet,
> rather than putting the onus on the user?

Because the network and the sysop who decides what that route will be has to make assumptions about what the user intended.  When I send a packet, I am the one who knows what I want done with it, right now in this situation, not some prior decision and setting by some absentee digi-lord.

There are just far too many absentee digi-lords to be setting in concrete decisions about routing of packets.  This then makes the network stagnant, and not working most of the time.  APRS is supposed to be workable WITHOUT ANY INFRASTRUCTURE on a come as you are ad-hoc basis.  ANd deliver packets as the USER intends.

> "Welcome to APRS, you've got to figure out
> how the entire network works in order to get
> on the air the first time."

Not at all.  Set your mobile path to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 and it will work.  If it doesnt, then get the local absentee digi-lord to fix the local network so it does.

Oh, and under the New-N paradigm, the new users only needs to wait exactly 10 minutes from the moment he turns his new radio on, and he should have received a beacon fromt the nearest digi and its TEXT will show him how many hops are recommended in that area.  Usually "W2 or SSn-N" and in some cases W3...  Having every digi educate the user as to the recommended value of N in every area every 10 minues direct is all part of the New-N paradigm.

Bob, Wb4APR