[aprssig] Setting up a digi

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Sep 14 10:41:41 EDT 2007

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, J. Lance Cotton wrote:

> For a TNC with JavAPRSsrvr, anything that supports KISS will do. The
> OpenTracker (OT1+) has moderate decode abilities and there is a KISS-mode
> firmware that will turn this $30 tracker into a limited KISS TNC.
>
> The Tracker2 (OT2) is getting closer to being really for sale, I think. It's
> going to be in the $85 range and will be a full-featured TNC that can also
> digipeat if you need it to.

Cheaper options are to use an old TAPR-2 compatible or AEA TNC
bought used (preferably in KISS mode), or to use a soundcard in the
PC and run the "soundmodem" driver in Linux to get rid of the
hardware TNC altogether.  The last option takes a bit of work to set
up correctly though, so that's the tradeoff.

Of the OT1+ and Tracker2 options listed above I'd go for the
Tracker2.  The OT1+ isn't as good at decoding, but then again that's
not it's main function in life.