[aprssig] APRS buoy - transmit power and antenna?

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Tue Sep 11 22:16:39 EDT 2007

On Sep 11, 2007, at 7:28 PM, Steve Noskowicz wrote:

> You sound ready to give up which is disapointing.  If
> you were planning to try this, perhaps you have a way
> to go out on the lake w/boat and do some tests.
> Sounds like an interesting experiment.  If you don't
> have the setup, perhaps you could pad down some other
> radio/tracker just to see if findu "hears" you.

There's also the possibility of multiple bouys, and possibly things
like suspending the antenna (and radio?) from a balloon tethered to
the bouy (or maybe I'm thinking of just an anchor!) if this is for an
event of some kind (I'd make at least the radio part floatable, and
design it so that when the balloon comes down the antenna will be at
least slightly above the water to make recovery easier).

But I wouldn't listen to me too closely - after all, I'm a long ways
from any large body of water.  I can shout across every body of water
within an hour drive from me!