[aprssig] Lat. / Long. Expressions

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue Sep 11 13:05:51 EDT 2007

Couple of points here.

Both representations are correct.  There are acceptable use methods for
both, and for several others, as some have posted here.

By convention in the real world, e.g., that of the geodesist or
cartogrpher, we tend to use the convention of North, East positive.
Thus, my rough location would be 30-36-16, -96-22-30, or, roughly
30.55N, 96.255W.  Most of us can translate the various systems.

The National Geodetic Survey tends to promote North/West positive to
support geodetic surveyors and make their lives slightly easier.
They've also created local-projection state-plane systems to ease the
calculations for said surveyors.

Realize that within the APRS community there is a normative approach
(although I'd hesitate to call it a "standard" in the formal sense) that
should be followed, else someone else will tell you how wrong you are.

gerry n5jxs