[aprssig] APRS buoy - transmit power and antenna?

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Tue Sep 11 01:53:51 EDT 2007

Because of the high probability of the matching section of the J-pole
radiating, the radiation from the matching section and that from the
dipole portion will be out of phase, and this could result in the J-pole
having a higher angle of radiation than a quarter wave (ground plane).
If the quarter wave is just a whip, with no means to simulate the
missing half, it's anybody's guess as to its angle of radiation. Since
the buoy is bobbing about all over the place, does it really matter?

I'd opt for maximum antenna efficiency and use a suitably matched
halfwave whip. These are sold as a ground plane independant antenna or GPI.

Ray vk2tv