[aprssig] WIDE settings

Ken H> sailingtoo at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 22:03:02 EDT 2007

Thanks Dave  for the info - In more reading I understand the WIDEn-N
format the n=the number of hops you plan for it to take - really
doesn't mean anything to the digipeater or Igate.  The N = the number
of hops it's allowed to take before dying.

So, a WIDE2-2 setting would be the first 2 would say "I am asking for
2 hops max" and the last 2 would be the actual number the digi peaters
will look at to determine how many times the packet will be digi'd
before dying.

Now, please explain to me (in simple words) what the difference is
between putting the one group and the 2 groups of WIDES up.  i.e.

WIDE2-2 will allow 2 hops and WIDE3-3 will allow 3 hops.

Now, WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 says it will allow 2 hops - why??????  Is it the
first "WIDE1-1" will allow 1 hop and the second "WIDE2-1" will allow a
second hop?  Is this the same as the WIDE2-2 setting?  In my D700A is
there any difference between the two settings -  "WIDE2-2" for 2 hops
or "WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1"??? for two hopes?

Now, if I set 'WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2" I should get 3 hops? 1 hop from the
first "WIDE1-1" and 2 more hops from the second "WIDE2-2"?

Why is this different than the WIDE3-3 setting?

Thanks to all for any info.

73 de Ken H. (K9FV-1)