[aprssig] WIDE settings (was A test for APRS in some lessor traveled Western areas)

Keith Stevenson ki4ybq at ki4ybq.net
Sat Sep 8 19:36:33 EDT 2007

Cap,

I think that you may have misunderstood the intent of my question.  I'm
trying to understand how and (more importantly) why the protocol works.
There seems to be some subtleties that if misunderstood can cause grief for
a large number of users.  I've read the new n-N paradigm papers (some of
them several times), and I believe I understand how setting an appropriately
small value of N keeps the traffic local and avoids out of area QRM.  My
frustration stems from the fact that I've been unable to find a discussion
of the relationship between n and N.  I'm looking for a deeper understanding
than "please use this setting to avoid generating QRM."

Also, I am using the example of how one would select the value of n for a
digi as just that, an example.  I find that there is a lot more information
about appropriate settings for end-stations than for the digis and I'm
simply trying to learn.  I have no intention of blindly setting up a digi.
In fact, I have yet to transmit a single APRS packet because I do not yet
feel that I have an adequate understanding of how APRS works.  I'm one of
those obsessives that is compelled to learn as much as possible about a
topic.

73,
Keith Stevenson, KI4YBQ