[aprssig] APRS and Geocaching

gerheim at cox.net gerheim at cox.net
Sat Sep 8 11:47:40 EDT 2007

I use the Garmin GPSmap 60 (black & white).  No complaints.  I especially like the USB _and_ serial ports.

For Geocaching, I downloaded loads and loads of geocache coordinates for RI and NH.  Just click on "FIND", Geocache, and click the one at the top of the list.

It also _receives_ waypoints from APRS.  I grabbed waypoints from Southern Cape Cod to Quebec City in just a minute or two from the summit of Mt. Washington, and got to analyze them later on GoogleEarth.

The autorouting algorithm needs some tweaking.  It keeps taking me off of I95 if the paralell stretch on US1 is shorter.

I also took the cycle computer off my bicycle and only use the GPSmap 60.  It does all the stuff the cycle computer did, and more.  Although, if you use the cadence feature on your cycle computer you may want to leave it on.